Wednesday 23 May 2012

Positive Mental Attitude, Numb feet & Knee issues

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right."
-Henry Ford 

 Seems a bit weird me writing a blog post on PMA, after all I'm the first to admit that I usually lack it. However, I'm giving this PMA theory a go.
Last night I went to bed working out my running plan for the next day and as usual I'd talked myself out of it before I even got up this morning.
Instead of just accepting todays defeat though I actually managed to talk myself back into running - cool huh!
First I told myself I don't have to run outside cos I have a perfectly good dreadmill in the lounge and then managed to convince myself it would be easier to set the distance and watch it countdown rather than start at 0 and count mileage up. I even convinced myself it would be fun :/ - go figure!
Then as I started to deliberately get myself sidetracked with housework some little voice popped into my head and said "Ask yourself this - What do you want the most, to lose weight or to not get on that treadmill?"
Whilst erming over that question I'm thinking to myself "If you don't even have the self motivation and will power to get on a machine that does some of the work for you, in your own front room then you've just wasted £120 on an Insanity workout cos you aint gonna manage it".
Well it worked. I was on that machine in a jiffy. I counted down from 2 miles (yup this whole pallaver was over a measly 2 miles) and alternated the speed constantly to keep it ....erm..... I'd like to say interesting but I'm gonna have to go with bearable and before I knew it the torture was over and I didn't walk once - at least not after my 5 minute warm up walk.
Funny thing is once the workout was over I'm getting changed thinking "o yeah, the runner is back" - after one workout that I had to talk myself into lol.

I do seem to have some problems when running though whether it's inside or outside.
Foot cramp - no matter how much I warm up - which then accelerates to complete numbness in my feet, occasionally working up to the knee. Numb feet do not make for a very tidy runner!
Knee injury -  An old knee injury is starting to niggle. I'm assuming it will get better as I lose weight but I will start taking a supplement of some kind plus knee supports.
Hip flexor pain - For a few years now I get this pain which I always thought was a groin strain but is apparantly something to do with the hip flexors instead, so I'm going to have to look into it more because it's playing havoc.
Weird foot/ankle issue. - The doc named it many years ago - hyper mobility or some such thing. Basically when I walk, as my foot comes of the ground something in the ankle doesn't support something in the ankle that needs supporting (cool description huh) and this results in my ankle feeling sprained for about 30 seconds and then it's perfectly normal again. Till it happens again that is. Sometimes it can happen at every step and sometimes not at all. I've not had a problem with it for some years now but it's baaaaaack and it's annoying - I'm thinking ankle supports alongside those supplements!

"Every day is a good day when you run."
-Kevin Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment