Monday 7 May 2012

Got my doubts!

I'm pretty lucky to have quite a lot of home exercise equipment - a bike, a treadmill, eliptical trainer, ski machine and a Total Gym.
Problem is that at the moment the only 2 pieces actually set up and useable are the Bike and the Dreadmill. The dreadmill is in the front room and does get some use on days it's just too wet or windy to run outside but the bike has been hidden in the 'other' room and is pretty much under my radar.
However, I was recently motivated and inspired by a TV show called 'Obese. A year to save my life' and for some reason it got me thinking about that lonely little bike never getting any use, just gathering whatever I happen to chuck on it.
Today I decided was 'the day'. The bike was going to be used! I changed the batteries in the console, got on, peddled a few seconds and then just got right back off again. I was sooooo not motivated to do it and if there's one thing I've learned about myself is that if I'm not motivated I won't enjoy and if I don't enjoy it I won't do it again.
So, being the good girl I am, instead of sulking like I normally would I went online and checked out some weightloss blogs knowing full well that after 10 mins or so I would be motivated to get back on the bike.
I say I wasn't motivated initially but if I'm honest I just couldn't be arsed to do it. I wanted to want to get on that bike but the effort was just too much - I can be exceptionally lazy.
10 minutes later though I was back in that room, MP3 blaring to mask my heavy breathing and was peddling for England.
I set the counter at 8miles figuring that would be a decent enough distance first time and here's the end result


Ignore the 'distance' marker saying 0:02 as it counted down from the mileage I put in. I must have peddled a few paces when is hit 0 because the 0:02 is the counter starting back up from 0.
What you can't see in that image is that although I was chuffed with the time of 16:23 for 8 miles it turned out that the stupid bike was set to kms so I'd actually only cycled around 5 miles in that time!
But what I'm really doubtful about is the calories. Can you see what it says? It reckons that in 16:23 my calories burned was 183!!! No way!!! I can spend an hour on the dreadmill, sweating like a pig, struggling to breathe and not burn anywhere near that amount.
So how accurate are these counters?

Well, I've done a little bit of reading on the net and to be honest the general concensus seems to be that they're not far off but to try a little test, next time I go on the bike I am going to check my pulse at several points then take an average and use *this* little gizmo I found on Triathalon Training Blog and see what it comes up with. Should be interesting!

My Running Music this week:
  • 'Ain't gonna bump no more with no big fat woman' - Joe Tex
  • 'Play that funky music' - Wild Cherry
  • 'Part of me' - Katy Perry
  • 'Manic Monday' - Bangles
  • 'Dancing in the dark' - Bruce Springsteen
  • 'Titanium' - David guetta
  • 'Empire state of mind' - Jay Z
  • 'Stronger' - Kelly Clarkson
  • 'Judas' - Lady Gaga
  • 'Sexy and I know it' - LMFAO
  • 'Y.M.C.A' - The Village People.
  • 'Just like Jessie James' - Cher

No comments:

Post a Comment